In summer 2020, The New York Times coordinated a nationwide project to document the lives of Americans out of work because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The study involved collaborating with 11 other local newsrooms around the U.S. The Messenger-Inquirer was the only newspaper from Kentucky in the collaboration. The resulting collection of stories was published Oct. 23, 2020, in the New York Times print edition and at nytimes.com/outofwork. The following list is the Messenger-Inquirer's local unemployment coverage from that time period; read more by clicking the "New York Times Project" header. Click on "Out Of Work In America" to go to the full
- Officer who resigned after OPD investigation hired as sheriff's deputy
- Judge grants restraining order preventing movement of Confederate monument
- Jury finds Martin guilty of Pembroke triple murder
- Officials get first taste of public sentiment on Owensboro outer loop plan
- Items from Jack Wells Estate on sale at Lance & Co.
- Loop plan stirs opposition
- M-I Police Reports for June 19, 2021