The Green River Area Development District will host a series of outreach events during April to help seniors and disabled adults across the region ensure they're receiving benefits for which they're eligible.
According to senior resource coordinator Leslie Wilson, GRADD received a grant through the National Council on aging to assist individuals in "finding benefits that they are eligible for but simply are not aware of."
Information is put into a database of about 300 programs and a report of programs the individual may be eligible for is generated. "And we can assist them in making applications for the programs," she said.
With the upcoming outreach events, individuals can learn more about available benefits, and the checkup can be done right there.
"Some of these seniors are just a hairline away from either paying for their prescription drugs or heating bills, their food (or) their electric," Wilson said.
"It's our mission to assist folks and find things and programs to help them so they're not living in such a crunch."
GRADD is the area agency on aging and independent living, and is one of two agencies in the state to have the benefits.
Anyone over 18 is eligible for the free screening.
Wilson said the initial screening is "very anonymous," with little information needed, like a zip code and financial information such as annual income.
"It's just an excellent program and there are so many folks who simply don't know of the programs available to help them," Wilson said.
"The screening is very easy. It takes us about 10 minutes."
Benefit checkups are scheduled for:
• 9 a.m. Tuesday, Munday Activity Center, 1650 W. Second St.
• 11 a.m. Tuesday, Morganfield Senior Citizens Center, 225 Richards Lane, Morganfield.
• 9 a.m. Monday, The Help Office of Owensboro, 1316 W. Fourth St.
• 11 a.m. Monday, Island Senior Citizens Center, 280 Adams Ave., Island.
• 11 a.m. April 19, Sacramento Senior Citizens Center, 187 Kentucky 2382, Sacramento.
• 11 a.m. April 20, South Hancock Volunteer Fire Department, 12194 Kentucky 2181, Pellville.
• 11 a.m. April 21, Lewisport Senior Citizens Center, 190 Fourth St., Lewisport.
• 9 a.m. April 25, The Help Office of Owensboro, 1316 W. Fourth St.