At its 5 p.m. meeting Tuesday, Sept. 15, on the fourth floor at Owensboro City Hall, the Owensboro City Commission took up the following agenda items:
Approved the following appointments:
• Reappointed Larry Conder to a three-year term effective Oct. 4, 2020, to the Owensboro-Daviess County Drug and Alcohol Steering Committee.
• Appointed Joe Bowen to a four-year term effective Oct. 2, 2020, to the Owensboro-Daviess County Regional Airport Board.
Considered the following ordinances:
• Approved Ordinance 15-2020: An ordinance amending the annual budget for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2020, and ending June 30, 2021, and amending ordinance 7-2020 to revise beginning fund balances, carry over appropriations for all outstanding encumbrances, capital projects and re-budget funds.
• Approved Ordinance 16-2020: An ordinance annexing to the City of Owensboro certain unincorporated territory in the county of Daviess adjoining the present boundary line of the city, being property owned by the city located at the 3800 block of Fairview Drive (3805 and 3810 Fairview Drive, and Fairview Drive right-of-way), containing 24.280 acres, more or less.
• Approved Ordinance 17-2020: An ordinance revising employee handbook policy 109, thereby including entry level police officer candidates that are eligible to participate in an alternate education program to obtain an associate’s degree to be considered for employment.
• Approved Ordinance 18-2020: An ordinance levying ad valorem taxes for municipal purposes for the fiscal year commencing July 1, 2020, and ending June 30, 2021, at the rate of 26.40 cents per $100 of assessed valuation of real property, 27.87 cents per $100 of assessed valuations of personal property, and 30.30 cents per $100 of assessed valuation of vehicles, and providing for the collection and appointment of same.
• Heard the first reading of Ordinance 19-2020: An ordinance amending and updating Chapter 26, Article VI, of the Owensboro Municipal Code titled “Solid Wastes”; and further amending section 26-263 by imposing a $25 fine for repeated returns for collection or failure to remove mobile container from curb; and further amending section 26-266 to impose a $50 fine for stacking limbs and brush on streets, sidewalks, and medians requiring removal; and further amending section 26-298 by imposing a fine of $100 to $500 for failure of commercial and industrial establishments to maintain operating conditions of their mobile containers.
Approved the following municipal orders:
• Consider Municipal Order 28-2020: A municipal order approving the filing by the Owensboro Police Department of an application for a state Homeland Security grant in the amount of $259,674.00 with the Kentucky Office of Homeland Security for the purchase of a tactical multipurpose response and rescue vehicle for the OPD Emergency Response Team.
• Consider Municipal Order 29-2020: A municipal order approving the filing by the Owensboro Fire Department of an application for a state Homeland Security grant in the amount of $214,481.40 with the Kentucky Office of Homeland Security for the purchase of chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRN-E) detection equipment and protective gear.
• Consider Municipal Order 30-2020: A municipal order approving the execution of separate agreements between the city, Global Spectrum, L.P., Atmos Energy Corporation, Boardwalk Pipelines, L.P., Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline, Inc., and Stanton Family Foundation for the event sponsorship of Energy on Ice.
Approved the following hires:
• Aquado R. Douglas — Probationary, full-time, non-civil service appointment to Laborer/Maintenance Helper with the Public Works Grounds Department, effective Sept. 28, 2020.