In summer 2020, The New York Times coordinated a nationwide project to document the lives of Americans out of work because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The study involved collaborating with 11 other local newsrooms around the U.S. The Messenger-Inquirer was the only newspaper from Kentucky in the collaboration. The resulting collection of stories was published Oct. 23, 2020, in the New York Times print edition and at nytimes.com/outofwork. The following list is the Messenger-Inquirer's local unemployment coverage from that time period; read more by clicking the "New York Times Project" header.
- Homeowners upset by cremated remains in backyard
- Combest off to fast start in 2021
- 'It's a journey': Owensboro woman embraces lifestyle changes after weight loss surgery
- Barry and Paula Wahler
- M-I police reports for Monday, March 1, 2021
- Wright overcomes obstacles to become a nurse
- Real Estate Transfers: Feb. 28, 2021